Ep 11 | YouTube Optimization for SEO
Unless you’ve been under a rock for the last few years you know that video has become a huge part of marketing and the internet in general. Business owners are encouraged to create videos and upload them to YouTube as a means of marketing their businesses. And so they do. They have no idea what to do from there.
The most popular search engine for millennials, and the second most popular overall, is YouTube. YouTube used correctly is a very powerful tool in your SEO strategy but how do you optimize your video for SEO?
That was the topic this week. We quickly discussed some optimization opportunities for YouTube.
- Get a custom URL
- Add Cover Photo
- Add link back to your website and social profiles
- Add a thorough about section (did not discuss in video)
- Include a descriptive title with a long tail keyword as the focus
- Include a thorough description using long tail keyword variations in the description, and a link to your website
- Include relevant tags. Think of these as meta keywords for YouTube
- Embed the video on your website (blog post or page)
- Include a description or transcription of the video
- Optimize the post/page for On-Page SEO just like any other web page
There is certainly more you can do. For example sharing the video is an important part of your SEO strategy. Start with these steps and we will revisit at a later date.